Friday, November 28, 2014

Holiday Chic - Thanksgiving Edition

Happy Turkey Day! 
 
 
I am going to start this post as the worst American ever, and tell you that Thanksgiving is just not my fav.  I know what you're thinking... A holiday centered around my food should rock my world....  But here is the deal, turkey is only okay, pumpkin pie is the worst pumpkin dessert there is, and stuffing can suck it.  Plus, after Halloween, it is the only thing standing between me and Christmas.  Granted, it isn't all bad... I love coming home and seeing the fam, Thanksgiving Eve is always a shit show in the best way, the shopping is to die for, and, of course, it kicks off the Christmas season. 
Although it will never be my favorite, I vowed to end 2014 with a bang, and I wasn't about to let Thanksgiving be an exception.   
 
The holidays started early this year with a Thanksgiving Potluck at work.  I was a little apprehensive when I got assigned the god damn Jell-O mold.  Who are we, the Griswalds?  Luckily, my step mom had a recipe for a killer pretzel Jell-O salad that totally saved the day.  I was also totally freaked when a raw turkey showed up with a crockpot at 8:00am that we were supposed to eat at noon.  Uhh... Thanksgiving may not be my favorite, but I want to live to see it!  By some miracle, the bird was finished and carved by the time the potluck started.  I have NO idea how it happened, but it was actually one of the best darn turkey I have ever sunk my teeth in. 
 
Next was a Friendsgiving at one of my best friend's places.  First of all, I showed up with this adorable pumpkin chocolate peanut butter dessert that I decorated as a turkey:      
 
 


I am sorry, but how freaking cute!  I used a peanut butter cup for the body, Reese's Pieces for the feathers, a nutter butter for the head, and pretzels for the feet.  I am pretty darn proud.  Also, please note my adorable centerpiece.  Huge thanks to this crafty lady who is even more holiday obsessed than me!  She makes the most delightful prints, so I lost it when she gave us the "Give Thanks" one fo' free!  Also, her blog is perfection if you're wondering.  Speaking of perfection, the food at Friendsgiving was to DIE for.  Seriously, pumpkin sausage soup, dill bacon potatoes, chorizo stuffing... Such a fun spin on the traditional meal.  I am also totally obsessed with the Friendsgiving trend.  It is so sweet and special and such a wonderful way to celebrate the friends that are more like family.  We had a great time.  Oh, and I loved my cozy and festive outfit for the night!
 
 
I picked the jacket up at Target... It is a 2X but I can't seem to find the link.  The scarf is from Nordstrom.  If you haven't hit up the BP accessories, you have to!  They are totally affordable and absolutely adorable.
 
Then it was homeward bound (hello, Oregon) just in time for Thanksgiving Eve.  Per tradition, we headed to the local bar for some celebration.  I love the energy in Seattle, but there really is nothing like a hometown hangout to make you feel especially loved.  I am not going to lie, I felt like absolute garbage the next morning but it was well worth it.  I pulled myself together and headed to my grandma's to celebrate with the fam.  I hadn't been home in what felt like forever.  It was so nice to catch up with everyone and meet my cousins newest baby for the first time.  Clearly she had to pry the kid out of my arms when it was time to leave.  My sister and I headed back to my dad's for dessert and football.  I am devastated to announce that I was sent into a turkey trance, and napped through most of the game.  Luckily, my Hawks still won, so it was all good.  Then, I forced my parents to watch a Christmas movie with me before I went out with some good friends.... And by went out, I mean I guzzled down an Oreo milkshake and played some shuffle board.  So yeah, I party. 
 
As I sit here, I am winding down from my first round of Black Friday shopping with Tayla, and gearing up to go back out with my Grandma, Auntie and cousin Kayla.  Those loons have been out since 4 am!  They went home for the traditional Black Friday Halftime which consists of leftovers and Eggnog cocktails, and now they're on they're way to get me.  Let's just hope I can keep up!
 
Overall, this has been the perfect way to spend my Thanksgiving.  I hope you all enjoyed yourselves as much as I did.  Happy Holidays and let the Christmas season begin!



No comments:

Post a Comment