Thursday, September 22, 2016

Fancy AF

Happy First Day of Fall!
 
Bring on everything cozy and all the pumpkin flavored treats. I am ready!
 
Last night, Zach and I ended summer right with a fancy beer pairing dinner followed by a rousing round of trivia. You guys! I cannot stop thinking about how delicious that meal was and how elite I felt at such an extravagant event.
 

Zach and I had gone to Lloyd Martin a few months ago for a glass of wine and thanks to a little marketing and a lot of encouragement from our waitress, signed up for a beer pairing dinner they were hosting. The restaurant paired with Pike Brewing to create a beautiful barbecue inspired five course meal... I know what you're thinking, five courses!?! But they were small, so throw your shade elsewhere.

The first course was comprised of chicken wings in a white barbecue sauce. Obviously I panicked because I don't do white creamy shit, but this was a garlicky sauce that was to die for. Plus, the wings were so crispy and perfectly flavored. It was paired with the Naughty Nellie Golden Ale whose namesake was the madam of the brothel that originally occupied the Pike Place Brewery. It was light and summery and went nicely with the slightly spicy chicken wings.
 
Next up was the Foie Gras Mousse with Corn Bread and a Jelly made from the Monks Uncle Triple Ale it was paired with. I was definitely nervous to sample this course... Meat Mousse? It sounded a little iffy to me, but it was actually delicious. Plus, it looked SO freaking fancy.

Our next course was pork sasauge, baked beans, and an IPA. Sounds pretty boring, right? OMG, wrong! I am not usually a baked bean fans, but you could taste the freshness of these gems plus the pork was SO good. I even enjoyed the IPA which was significantly less hoppy than I am used to. (Hoppy is a thing, right?)

Then came the pork roast with apple kimchi and the Kilt Lifter Ruby Ale. Holy shit. The tender roast with a spicy, crunchy kimchi made of APPLE topped with a sweet orange barbecue sauce.... I'm dead. Like seriously donezo. It was perfect... And that Ruby Ale to help cut the spice? Yep, dead.

Last, but the farthest ever from least, dessert. We were served a stout chocolate cake with malt ice cream and stout ganache paired with the XXXXX Stout. I was prepared to lick the goddamn plate. So rich and creamy, I couldn't have been more satisfied.

  
What was really cool about the meal was that we had the opportunity to meet both the chef and the brewer. Between each entrée, the brewer would describe the history of beer and the brewery which led into an in depth description of the next taster on the menu.
 
It was such a fun way to spend the evening and gave me an awesome opportunity to be a critic for the evening. I will definitely seek out a similar event in the future.
 
In the words of Benjamin Franklin, "I think this would be a good time for a beer."
 
Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment